Thursday, September 16, 2010

Me talking about someone else talking...

       I was reading my friend Susan's blog (send some good thoughts to her right now, shes sick) and found this post about a book called "Feed."
       "It's a Young Adult book that takes place in the future. There are flying cars and parties on the Moon. Most of civilization at this point is living over the world- that is, communities and houses are floating above the actual Earth. People have chips installed in their brain- usually at birth to be on the safe side- that hooks into their minds and makes the internet live in their heads. This is called the Feed (because it's feeding these people media and stuff). The Feed tells people where to buy the latest clothes, where the hot spots for partying are on Mars, and what the latest, most popular songs are. The Feed also tells them what certain words mean and, if they ever actually need to know, what happened in certain periods of history. Once they have the Feed, people basically don't need to do anything but move, eat, and sleep."
      It sounds like a very good book that I now intend to read. Even her post was thought provoking and I'm wondering whether or not it was bad of me to think that this might be maybe 50 years a head of what we have right now. When I think about it, I have to check my Facebook at least once a day, and it ends up consuming a lot of my time, (darn you internet.) This is exactly the kind of thing that alarms me about technology nowadays, and makes me wonder if the Government would even make this legal. Maybe. Probably. It rescheduled my train of though, as it was delayed in thinking about our silly system that is "Corporate America" that would lobby the government so our whole country is in the hands of fruit baskets.
      Anyways, I absolutely want to read this now, thank you, Susan my poor sick friend, of more reading material.

No comments:

Post a Comment