Monday, November 1, 2010

The Kite Runner: "Holy Sheep"

Holy Sheep. I think that "The Kite Runner" is the most messed up book I've ever read. On page 7 it uses the word that starts with a 'C' and ends with a "T." I read that, looked up and said 
"Do you really think this book is appropriate for 9th graders to read?"
It shocked me. That was only page 7. 

It went on, oh trust me. There's racism, violence and rape. You find evidence of racism all throughout the book, with Hassan being discriminated against because he's a "Hazara." It reminded me of Draco Malfoy on page 39 and onward, as if being a Hazara was his equivalent of a muggle. (There's nothing wrong with us muggles *sniff.*) Then of course, the brass knuckles have to come out on page 41: 
 "...I saw with a sinking heart what he had fished out of his pocket. Of course. His stainless-steel brass knuckles sparkled in the sun... 'In fact, you bother me more than this Hazara here. How can you talk to him, play with him, let him touch you?' he said, his voice dripping with disgust."
It shocked me that a little boy could think that way. Of course Hassan saves that day with his trusty slingshot, but the victory is short lived.

On page 75... oh... I don't really want to talk about it at all. It's awful. When I read that part I almost cried. I kept yelling at Amir in my head. I was yelling at Assef too. An act of violence with brass knuckles is enough out of a kid, but going that far just tops my meter of "I CAN'T READ THIS ANYMORE!" Please Mr. Sutherland, can we NOT read this anymore? Holy Sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment