Sunday, November 21, 2010

Translation Mishaps

We all know that translation mishaps occur, mainly because one language has words that don't translate into another. 'm going to try translating, and then translating BACK a few times to see what happens.


1a (start) "Then, of course, I turned around and it wasn't there! Just poof! Gone!""Well, I think maybe it must have been the gnomes then, they're always stealing things.""Oh, yes, it must have been them.""I must get a gnome exterminator then!"
1b (English->Japanese->English) "And, of course, looking back I was not there! Pack man! Gone!""Well, I have it, they are stealing things to always think I may need to become a demon.""Oh, yes, it must be for them.""I, GNOME needs to get rid of!"
1c (English->Japanese-> Italian-> English) "And, of course, looking back I was not there! Pac-Man! Gone!""Well, I have it, they are stealing things to think that maybe I need to always be a Demon.""Oh, yes, it must be for them.""I, I need to get rid of GNOME!"

You can already see how silly that is.

2a (start) "I was walking down the street one day, and out of nowhere, this bird comes and lands on my shoulder. Naturally, I wondered why it had chosen me and not, in example, the elderly bird lady not five feet away handing out bread. It all seemed a bit silly until I really looked at it, and it seemed to be a robotic bird instead of a real one."
2b (English-> Dutch -> English) "I ran into the street one day, and out of nowhere, this bird comes and lands on my shoulder. Of course I wondered why she had chosen me, and not in eg the elderly lady bird not hand out five meters away bread. The It all seemed a little silly until I looked real, and it looked like a robotic bird rather than a real one. "
2c (English->Dutch-> Macedonian->English) "I ran into the street one day, out of nowhere, this bird comes and lands on my shoulder. Of course, I wondered why she had chosen, and not in such an older woman hand bird five feet bread. It seemed that the all a bit silly until I looked real, and it looked like a robotic bird, not a right. "

Oh yes. Is the bird robotic or not? Does it just look robotic? No translator shall ever know.

3a (start) "Well, hello kind sir.""Hello to you too, say, do you happen to have the time?"*looks at watch* "It happens to be ten till five o' clock!" "Oh my! Time sure does fly, I have to be at the opera house in half an hour! I'm not even in my best suit yet!""Oh then you must hurry!"
3b (English->French->English) "My good sir Well, hello.""Hello to you too, for example, do you happen to have the time?"* Look * shows "He arrived at 10:00 to 5:00!""Oh my! The time does fly, I must be at the opera in half an hour, I'm not even in my best costume yet!""Oh you must hurry!"
3c (English-> French-> Japanese-> English) "My good teachers, well, hello" "hello to you as well, for example, do you happen to have the time?" * Look * shows, "he arrived at 5:00 to 10:00! "" Oh! not time fly, I'm, I'm still not in the best costume! "must be placed in a half hour opera," Oh, you must hurry! "

To think that a suit is a costume in French...

I think all of these are wonderful examples of translation gone bad, but just imagine the chaos that would ensue if these were actually real situations of importance? I'm a little discouraged to try learning a new language now... It all seems a bit confusing, but I think I'll have to deal. But for now "Good night and a great night for you!" (or, better said UNtranslated... Good night to you and a wonderful evening!)

1 comment: