Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Final Reflective Post

So, as we’re coming to the end of the year, we’ve been given a reflective blog post to post. I’m going to mainly talk about my most popular posts... the reason that they’re so popular, though kind of confuses me. My most viewed posts are just random (and I mean RANDOM) things that I have written, usually late at night when ideas (and sometimes things) are kind of spewing from my brain. Although, hell, they haven’t even  been viewed that much.

This is a paragraph from my most popular post of all time: “Sandwiches and the Nature of the Exsistence” which was made to just be a fictional telling of how the Universe was made.

“This is about the time scientist say the big bang happens. It was indeed a big bang. A big bang of oven-roasted turkey, sourdough bread, and mayonnaise. The bread bits became asteroids, the turkey became stars, and the mayonnaise became planets. They diversified into all the elements you know of today. They formed EVERYTHING. Of course, this was a very big and very, very dense sandwich.”

I mean, how is THAT my most popular post? It’s so random! It does delight me, however that it IS my most popular post, because it makes me want to write even more things like it. Especially because my second most viewed post is something of similar origins and is in fact a continuation of “Sandwiches and the Nature of Existence.”  The name of this next post is “The Plaaaaaaarghs” which isn’t actually a real word! I think the most sensical thing in the post is

“In THE UNIVERSE, there are exactly 96,028,681,190 galaxies. Each of these galaxies has a central being called a "Plaaaaaaargh" that generates immense gravity fields. Every once in a while they get in fights with each other and start throwing solar systems.”

which is also just random and made up science. I know that when I was writing these I was channeling my inner Terry-Pratchett-fan, maybe even a little Monty Python-esk humor. This group and author are my biggest influences when it comes to my writing, but I am still far away from being a master at it.

So a question of mine remains: What can I do to improve my writing even more? I do really want to improve, but my writing all seems to be on the same level. Then there’s the writer’s block, which comes often and hard, often making me feel immobile and useless until someone gives me an idea. Sandwiches and the Nature of Existence was actually one of these writer’s block posts, until I finally forced the word “Sandwiches” out of a friend while frantically yelling “WHAT DO I WRITE ABOUT, WHAT DO I WRITE ABOUT???” In fact, that’s what’s going on right now, I have extreme writer’s block, (THANKS BRAIN.)

As I look through my reflective post from the middle of the year, I find myself writing about the exact same things as then. Not much has changed, eh? This really surprises me, because I had not expected that I would basically be backtracking through earlier thoughts.
 
Another thing that surprised me is my readership... it’s mostly the U.S. (no big surprise there) but I’ve got a few from all sorts of countries too. twelve from Russia, seven from Slovenia, three from Germany and three from Denmark... and that’s just the top of the list. What’s more, less than half of the people looking at my site are leaving immediately... and the average time on the site is about seven minutes. Is this good news? No idea. But surely, at least this means someone must approve, and that’s my biggest concern about my writing. I know that I should just go with what makes me happy and not care about what other people think (or so my elders always say. Well. Most of them,) but most of the time I end up looking back and thinking “wow, this writing kind of... sucks! Did I really write THAT?” (I think I might have self confidence issues) so the extra assurance is well appreciated.  
 
Heck, now that I look back at this post now, it seems I’m rambling a lot. Sorry about that... but I hope you’ve enjoyed this little insight into my mind. I don’t understand how Mr. Sutherland thinks this is “giving a gift to ourselves.” I must suck at gift-giving. I guess it’s the thought that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment